Friday, May 10, 2019

Teaching Textbooks Vs. Math-U-See

From the very first day we started homeschooling (6 years ago), we used Math-U-See. I loved how you watch a video of the lesson, and then you do the worksheets that go along with that lesson. We had no problems with Math-U-See until my oldest son hit pre-algebra/algebra.


teaching textbooks vs math u see


My son would watch the video which took like 15 - 20 minutes, the videos up until this point had been relatively short about 5 minutes at the most, and then he would try to do the worksheets but he was finding himself stuck on lots of problems and really just not grasping the concepts.

Re-watching the videos at this point was not really an option, because then he would be spending about an hour on math and not doing any actual work.

Having me teach him the lessons really wasn't an option either. I love doing math, up until a certain point. I will teach my kids; counting, skip counting, adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing, fractions, decimals, etc., but once you get to adding the alphabet into your problems, i'm out.

So, needless to say we were both a little frustrated with math, and we needed a change badly, like yesterday. So during the middle of the school year, i switched him to Teaching Textbooks online. What a difference it has made. He enjoys doing math now, and he is finally understanding all the different concepts.


There is also a big difference price wise as well, Math-U-See pre-algebra costs $182 vs. Teaching Textbooks online pre-algebra costs $67.08!


I love how Teaching Textbooks also grades all the work, all i do is login to my parent portal and check his grades to see how he is doing. No more grading paper after paper, they do all the work for me!


Now, this doesn't mean we are done with Math-U-See, in fact i just bought the next level up for 2 of my kids for our next school year. I plan to continue using Math-U-See with my children, until they hit the pre-algebra level, and then i will switch them over to Teaching Textbooks.


teaching textbooks math you see chart


Have you used Teaching Textbooks or Math-U-See? I'd love to hear your thoughts on them.
 photo Signature1_zps25c33e22.png

*Stock photo provided by Unsplash.*

No comments:

Post a Comment