Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Blueberry French Toast

Lately I've been trying out new recipes. Some of my favorite new recipes to try out are for breakfast.
 
It's been months since I have last given my kids cereal for breakfast. I feel really good about that, because I always knew cereal wasn't the best for them.
 
I never really had a good collection of breakfast recipes, so that's why lately I've been trying some new ones out. Some of the new recipes have been hits and some have been misses.
 
This one I'm about to share with you, actually was one of the misses. I really just didn't care for it. Blueberries, French bread, cream cheese; what could go wrong?! Those are all delicious ingredients, but something (in my opinion) just wasn't right.
 
I got the recipe from Six Sisters Stuff , the recipe is called Overnight Blueberry French Toast.
 
 
French Toast:
12 slices bread, cut into cubes (French or Texas toast work well)
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, cut in cubes
1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
12 large eggs
1/3 cup maple syrup
2 cups milk (I use 1 cup milk and 1 cup cream)

Syrup:
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
1 Tablespoon butter

Arrange 1/2 of the bread cubes in a greased 9 x 13 pan.
Sprinkle cream cheese cubes and blueberries evenly over the bread cubes.
Top with remaining bread cubes.
Mix together eggs, milk, and syrup.
Pour over bread cubes and cover pan with foil. Let chill in refrigerator overnight.
Bake covered with foil at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 30 minutes or until fluffy and golden. Top with sauce. Serves 8.
Syrup: Cook water, sugar, and cornstarch until thickened. Stir in blueberries and simmer for 10 minutes. Add butter and stir until melted. Serve over the French toast.
 

 
 
This is what the finished product looks like.
 
 
The blueberry syrup was delicious, I think the thing I really didn't care for in it, was the cream cheese (it didn't really melt into it, it was very clumpy) & the amount of eggs (I'm not really an egg fan). I might try to make it again, but next time I will change a few things.

What's your favorite breakfast food?

No comments:

Post a Comment